College Center » AB540 and SB 68

AB540 and SB 68


Access to College for ALL!

AB 540 allows qualified undocumented students to be exempt from paying significantly higher out-of-state tuition at public colleges and universities in California. By making college more affordable, AB 540 has had a significant impact on the lives of many undocumented students who have dreams of attending college.
Students are eligible for the AB 540 exemption if they meet ALL of the following requirements:
  • Attend a California high school for 3 or more years;
  • Graduate from a California high school or receive the equivalent, such as a GED; 
  • Submit an affidavit (a written promise) to the California public college or university where they are attending or plan to attend. In this statement students declare that they meet all AB 540 requirements and if they are undocumented, that they have filed an application to adjust their immigration status or will do so as soon as they are eligible to do so. A sample affidavit can be found here.
If you are an undocumented student, you are not alone. MALDEF encourages you to pursue your educational aspirations. YOU CAN GO TO COLLEGE! It is more important than ever for undocumented students to take advantage of this valuable educational opportunity. Below are resources for you to have a better understanding of AB 540 and to assist you in pursuing your dreams of going to college.

MALDEF continues to provide community education about AB 540 as well as works to protect AB 540 in the legislature and the courts. It is important that as many AB 540-qualifying students as possible know about this law. You can become an advocate and empower other students by using the resources listed below.

SENATE BILL 68 (passed in 2018)


  • Expands high school attendance requirement to include credits or attendance at a California Community College, Adult School, Department of Rehabilitation and Correction School.
  • The high school diploma requirement was also expanded to include students who have earned an Associate's degree or have met the minimum requirements to transfer to a UC or CSU.